ADVANCED VOCATIONAL TRAINING COURSE IN DENTAL HYGIENE (CFGS)
THE LENGTH OF THE COURSE
The course lasts 2000 hours, namely 1584 instructional hours in the school and 416 hours to develop practical skills in a dental clinic. The purpose of the practices in the dental clinic is to enhance the skills acquired by the student during the instructional hours.
The whole course takes two academic years, only mornings. Our students benefit from small group teaching for their clinical and academic learning.
From the beginning of the course our students develop their practical skills with real patients. Besides, they benefit from continuous assessment and follow-up throughout the course.
Our dedicated team of dental clinical academic staff helps students keep abreast of recent scientific developments. Our students have the possibility to attend dental events both in our country and in Europe. Furthermore, they can participate in school and neighborhood projects. (Trips are not included in the price of the course).
To be considered for admission you must have one of the following required studies:
- High School Diploma
- General Certificate of Education (BUP/ COU)
- Vocational Education and Training (CFGM)
- Certificate of Higher Education (CFGS)
- Course to access a Superior Training Cycle CAS
- External examination to access a Superior Training Cycle – group 2 (Health)
Once the training cycle in oral hygiene is over, students will be able to follow rules and protocols to examine, diagnose, and keep track of patient care and treatment plans. On the other hand, students will be able to provide comprehensive oral health and educate patients on way to improve and maintain good oral health.
Some other tasks of a dental hygienist include:
- Managing patients’ files in a dentist’s office.
- Preventing risks and optimize resources, collaborating with the schedule of the activities of the oral health unit.
- Managing the storage of materials, equipment and instruments
- Examining patients for oral diseases and providing preventive dental care according to dental protocols
- Taking and developing dental x-rays
- Planning and developing the necessary actions to implement an epidemiological monitoring program to population groups
- Designing health education activities to promote oral health
- Psychological support to patients/ users
- Dental hygienist
- Oral hygienist
- Specialist in oral hygiene
- Health educator
Once students have finished the course, they have the possibility to develop their professional profile from different areas by continuing their studies or by accessing to the labor market.
- Any official university degree study: Biology, Biochemistry, Food Science and Technology, Environmental Sciences, Biomedical Sciences, Physics, Geology, Mathematics, Microbiology, Psychology, Optics and Optometry, Chemistry, Physical Activity and Sports Sciences, Pharmacy, Physiotherapy, Nursing, Logopedics, Medicine, Dentistry, Podiatry and Veterinary medicine
- Access to the labor market as:
- Oral health specialist
- Oral hygienist / dental hygienist
- Health educator
DENTAL PROSTHESIS (CFGS)
A dental technician or dental technologist is responsible for designing, making and repairing various dental appliances including bridges, crowns, dentures, dental braces, occlusal splints, and orthodontic appliances. Dental technicians work to the prescription of the dentist for each patient.
DUAL EDUCATION SYSTEM IN ORAL HYGIENE AND DENTAL PROSTHESIS
WHAT IS THE DUAL VOCATIONAL EDUCATION AND TRAINING (FP)?
Dual vocational training system is a special way of learning a trade. As part of the dual system, students attend classes at school and receive on-the-job training at a company. Thus, at school students acquire theoretical knowledge and at companies they get to apply their newly acquired knowledge in practice. They will also get to know what their company does, learn how it operates, and find out if they can see themselves working there after completing their training.
ADVANTAGES OF THE DUAL VOCATIONAL EDUCATION TRAINING (VET) PROGRAMME
- Well-trained professionals who know the company
- Lowering levels of youth unemployment
- High probability of recruiting talented employees
- The company registers the students with the Social Security and pays them a monthly training allowance agreed between the company and the School. Minimum reference: Public Income Index (IPREM) in accordance with hours worked. (€ 532 / month).
- A first contact between students and company doing internships (Workplace Training FCT). 100h during the first course
- Intensive stay for 10 months in the company during the second course
- Agreement between the company and the Educational Center regarding the contents in order to achieve the curricular objectives
- Follow-up mechanisms. Weekly follow-ups between tutors. People responsible for coordination, follow-up and information exchange.
- The final evaluation will be made by the educational institution
Frequently asked questions (FAQ)